A stroke can be life changing if it is not detected early. 80% of strokes known as ischemic strokes are caused by a lack of blood flow to the brain, usually due to a blood clot blocking the blood vessel. Ruptured blood vessels account for the other 20% of strokes.
The good news is that if it is caught early, the majority of people will recover from a stroke to lead a full and active life. A specialist chair is crucial to successful rehabilitation. Depending on the severity, the rehabilitation phase may take longer. If this is the case specialist chair requirements will be taken into consideration as they will be responsible for helping a patient function and alleviate issues.
What are the early symptoms?
- Speech issues
- Difficulty walking
- Headaches and dizziness
- Vision trouble
If left undetected long term complications can occur which can involve loss of muscular movement and numbness.
How can you help?
There are many things as a carer you can do to help your patient. The most important is to allow plenty of time to recuperate. The patient should only be expected to complete simple tasks which are achievable to avoid frustration, and it is important to regularly praise these. If they are unable to communicate well, use props and signals. As with most patients in the recovery period, providing opportunities to socialise will help boost their mood and confidence.
How can Careflex Specialist Seating Help?
- Full assessment – The patient must receive a full seating assessment prior to ordering their Careflex Chair. The assessment will include the patient’s ability to communicate, swallow, how mobile they are and what their current diet is like.
- Comfort and relaxation – As we have said before these elements are the most important parts to consider when choosing your specialist chair. Being relaxed and comfortable will help build your strength quicker than if you are uncomfortable and stressed. Careflex chairs will help you recover and provide the best quality of life.
- Correct Posture – Pressure ulcers can form when a patient is sat for long periods of time in an incorrect position. The Careflex tilt in space chair will help alleviate these symptoms. For more complex issues, we recommend the HydroTilt or HydroFlex as they are adjustable.
- Careflex specialist seating has been designed with the patient in mind. We understand how devastating these conditions can be and we believe that with the right support and correct seating, patients can receive the best quality of life they fully deserve.
For more information on how Premiere Healthcare can support you please contact us.