Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune condition which attacks the body, including the brain and spinal cord. Such damage can cause a range of symptoms which affect vision, balance and movement. As either an existing or newly diagnosed medical condition, we recommend CareFlex chairs for their advanced equipment and comfort to help both patient and carer receive the maximum support available.
It is important to be aware of the early symptoms of MS, these can include;
- Vision problems
- Numbness and tingling
- Muscle spasms, stiffness and weakness
- Mobility issues
- Cognitive issues
- Depression and anxiety
How does the correct seating posture help?
Poor posture can lead to a range of issues. These can include painful pressure ulcers from being sat in an incorrect position, increased muscle spasms, loss of balance and breathing difficulties to name but a few. If the patient is sat in the optimum position, their individual needs can be met and supported.
How can you help?
Supporting the issues that occur with a patient with MS can be complex and difficult. Both patient and carer require ongoing support. However simple steps can be taken to help a patient adjust to the changes which can include;
- Help with mobility – Use gentle exercises to ensure the patient is able to move as much as possible as mobility is important.
- Comfort at home – Prepare the patient’s home with simple and familiar surroundings with objects they recognise to help reduce anxiety.
- Create a routine – Help increase the patient’s confidence by building a routine which they can work towards.
Choosing the correct CareFlex chair
A patient with a complex medical condition can prove challenging when matching the most appropriate seating. A patient with MS can have low mobility, muscle degeneration and weakness for example. As a degenerative disease, the patient will experience extreme fatigue and loss of muscle strength which must be taken into account.
At Premiere Healthcare we recommend taking a full seating assessment to evaluate and find a suitable CareFlex chair to ensure the patient receives maximum comfort and support. One of our experienced team will explain what is required and how we can help the patient, ensuring peace of mind throughout.
Selecting the right CareFlex chair
To help with flexibility, we recommend exploring a fully adjustable chair which includes recline and back angle options. We would suggest the following CareFlex Chairs:
- HydroFlex – This is known as the rehab chair. The CareFlex Hydro chair provides fully supportive posture management features to ensure stability for the body. It will help build patient confidence to work on task orientated exercises to keep their muscles moving without too much pressure.
- HydroTilt – This option helps support optimum patient posture whilst maintaining maximum comfort. There is a choice of back support which will improve pelvic stability.
For more information on how Premiere Healthcare can support your needs please get in touch.